This Chicken and Cauliflower Casserole is simple, healthy and super delicious. Using Cauliflower Rice and packed with vegetables, lean chicken and a creamy cheese sauce. You won’t believe how good this casserole actually is for you.
This chicken and cauliflower casserole is a great example of the magic you can create with vegetables. Cauliflower rice in my new favorite side. It goes great with so many dishes. In this creamy cheesy casserole it works perfect replacing the rice with a grain free option. I also make this version dairy free as well. This recipe also works great with dairy products. so the choice is completely yours. but believe me both versions are equally delicious.
Reasons I love casseroles.
- Less Dishes Usually. They are normally easy to prep and easy to clean up which save so much time, that is always a plus in my books. I hate dealing with lots of clean up after supper.
- Most importantly, casseroles are huge and easy to double which means make one for the freezer at the same time and you have a quick easy meal for another night waiting for you in the freezer.
- Leftovers. Leftovers are so important in our house. I use leftovers for work lunches almost everyday.
- Healthy options are so easy to implement in a casserole. you can make a casserole out of almost anything so just use whatever you have in the fridge and create something you like. All the while packing in all the great veggies you can.
And that’s where cauliflower rice comes in. If you’ve never made “cauli-rice,” prepare to have your mind blown. Here’s what you do. Ready?
Grate a head of cauliflower using a large cheese grater (or lightly pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor) and that’s it!
Cheesy Chicken & Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 3 cups Broccoli Florets
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken Breast chopped
- 1/2 cups Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Peppers and/or Mushrooms chopped
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 cup Almond Milk (Fat free milk works very well also)
- 1 1/2 cup Light Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Cheese substitutes work great as well)
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
Roughly chop cauliflower and trim some of the stalk off. Place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse very lightly in to pieces about the size of rice, or a little bigger than rice (See picture above in post). or you can also just use a cheese grater and grate the cauliflower. Set aside.
In a large saute pan or pot. Saute onions, celery and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes then add chicken, broccoli, peppers and mushrooms. cook for 5 minutes. stirring often.
Add cauliflower “rice” to the pan with the vegetables cover cook on medium heat for 1 minute them cover and shut off heat.
In a smaller sauce pan, Add milk, flour and and 1 cup of shredded cheese and stir well over low heat until cheese is melted and sauce thickens slightly. add salt and pepper
Add cheese sauce in to chicken and vegetable mix and stir well. Then pour mixture in to a 9×13 baking dish and top with the rest of the cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese in melted and bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes then serve. makes 6 servings.
Here are some things I loved on the internet this week. Enjoy the links below!
Robot Kitchen. This is cool but I definitely have mixed feelings about it.
Fun Explosions. Learning new things is always fun.
Cool Food Experiments to try.
My Music Obsession this week:
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/226110242″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Don’t forget to Subscribe Share and Follow! Xoxo
Hypem – @asparklymess
You Also May Enjoy…
Garden Vegetable Lasagna
Easy BBQ Turkey Burgers
Easy Cauliflower Pizza Crust