These Ultimate Calzones are perfect for a week-end dinner or game day feast. So soft and chewy and flavorful.
This Easy Calzones Recipe will take your favorite pizza and wrap it into something super tasty and impressive! There are so many options, you can put almost anything you want from BBQ chicken, to apple pie. Any pizza topping work great though I personally love classic pepperoni and cheese, but I’m up for so many other options.
I have included my own pizza dough recipe but any pizza dough will work just fine. It is so easy to customize this meal and everybody can have exactly what they want in their own Calzones. every one of them can be different. A pizza topping bar can be a simple way to make these for your Superbowl or holiday party.
2 cup warm water
4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsp instant yeast
3 tbsp honey
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp salt
2 cups Pizza Sauce
24 slices Pepporoni
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
or Anything you want
- In a large bowl combine yeast, water, and honey and let it sit and do its thing for about 15 minutes.(should be frothy and foamy on top by then).
- Add olive oil and salt and begin to mix in the flour 1 cup at a time.
- once the flour is fully incorporated. let mix for a few minutes in the stand mixer on a dough hook, or knead it with your hands for a few minutes. Just until the dough is soft and smooth. shape into a ball.
- Coat a large bowl with non stick cooking spray or oil and place the ball of dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let rise in a warm dry place. (I use the top on my oven, or in the microwave).
- Let rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- After the rise dump the dough out of the bowl on to a lightly floured surface and punch the air out of the dough.
- Divide into two balls of dough and knead each ball a couple times and place on floured pan, cutting board, or bowl. let rise and again for about 30 minutes Preheat oven to 475- 500F while the dough rises the second time. You want your oven very very hot for baking.
- After the rise punch each dough ball down again and cut in to 3-4 pieces each.
- Roll each piece of dough on to a small circle and fill with whatever topping you want in your calzone. (so many to choose from!).
- The fold the dough over in to a half circle shape and press the edges together and brush with garlic butter.
- line a baking pan with parchment paper and place each calzone on pan.
- Bake for about 12-17 mins but keep on eye on them. once they are golden brown on top they are ready to come out.
- Let rest for 5 mins the serve with some pizza sauce for dipping.
Let's Stay in Touch!
Subscribe to get recipes straight to your inbox.