These Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars are a perfect holiday treat. Bring these to any gathering and they are sure to be a huge hit. The saltiness of the shortbread with the creamy caramel and chocolate coating make the perfect match.
Caramel makes me so happy. I love caramel in so many ways and forms. caramel lattes, caramel sauce, caramel almost everything. Baking with caramel is something that happens a lot here. I add caramel to co many recipes that it just seems to come natural now. This is an old recipe my mother would always make around Christmas so it just seemed very timely to post. as it is now a regular on my Christmas baking repertoire.
Shortbread is one of my favorite holidays features. I love the nutty and salty flavor of the shortbread base along with the sweet melt in your mouth texture. These Chocolate Caramel Shortbread are amazing. The irresistible smooth caramel with the cookie and the chocolate. Trust me this will become a part of your baking routine for sure! go ahead give it a try.
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 1 1/3 cup butter, white sugar, and flour until evenly crumbly
- Gather the dough into a ball and place into a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Press the dough out evenly into the bottom of the dish.
- Bake for 18 minutes and set aside to cool.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil and stir for 5 minutes, never stop stirring or it will burn!
- Remove from heat. Let cool for 10 minutes while stirring every 3 minutes to cool evenly
- Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread crust. Place in the fridge until the caramel begins firm.
Place the chocolate and butter in a small sauce pan over low heat.
Stir often until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
Once the chocolate is melted, pour it over the caramel layer and spread evenly.
- Chill for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Serve and Enjoy!